To get an event in the Outdoors Calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148 or by email at
. The deadline is 5 p.m. on Wednesdays.
- January 1st : Red River Valley Forever Pheasant Section 15-Shot Draw, 5-8 p.m., Charlie Browns, 414 Gateway Drive, Grand Forks. Tickets $ 50; You don’t have to be present to win. Info: Chapter’s Facebook page, (218) 230-4364 or [email protected]
- January 1st : Red River Valley Forever Browning Pheasant Section 13 Firearms Draw, 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., Charlie Browns, 414 Gateway Drive, Grand Forks. Tickets $ 50; You don’t have to be present to win. Info: Chapter’s Facebook page, (218) 230-4364 or [email protected]
- January 22: Whitetails Unlimited “Red River Valley Deer Camp,” Eagles Club, 227 10th St. NW, East Grand Forks. Games, raffles and social hour, 5 p.m. dinner, 6:30 p.m. Tickets: $ 30 each. For tickets or more information, contact John Eaton, (218) 779-0968; Buck Nordlof, (218) 434-0399; or the Whitetails Unlimited head office at (800) 274-5471. Buy and print tickets online at whitetailsunlimited.com.
- January 29: 38th Annual Devils Lake Volunteer Fire Department Ice Fishing Tournament, 1 p.m., Devils Lake Six-Mile Bay. Over $ 325,000 in fishing and raffle prizes, including trucks, cars, outdoor gear, vacation trips, guns, TVs, snowblowers and more. Pre-tournament events on view Thursday January 27 and Friday January 28 at the Devils Lake Memorial Building. Info: dlvfdicefishingtourney.com.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is continuing its outdoor hunting, fishing and learning webinar series through the end of February. The webinars, which are free, start Wednesday at noon and pre-registration is required at mndnr.gov. The webinars are also recorded and available online. Upcoming webinars are as follows:
- December 29: Introduction to trapping furbearing animals, on what it takes to get started with trapping and some tips and tricks to be more successful.
- January 5: High School Clay Target Program, about the Minnesota Clay Target Program, including how to enter a school program and competition details.
- January 12: Crappie angling on ice, on tips and techniques for catching sunfish, crappie and perch on ice.
- January 19: Darkhouse Spearfishing, about the thrill of harpooning a northern pike through a hole in the ice.
- January 26: Winter Squirrel Hunting, on what to consider when hunting squirrels in the winter, including tactics, strategies, equipment, and ways to prepare squirrels for the table.
- February 9: An introduction to winter camping, some of the equipment needed, tips and tricks to help campers enjoy the adventure, and a few reasons why winter might be the best time to go camping.
- February 16: Introduction to maple syrup, tips on collecting sap, boiling sap and bottling results.
- February 23: The basics of archery hunting, on selecting a hunting compound bow and bow accessories needed to hunt effectively; a great program for those who are ready to transition from target archery to archery hunting.